Hi, everybody! I almost didn’t post anything today because I’m blocked! =S … I can’t believe it has happened again! =(
Then I thought “hey,write about something you know”. And if there is something I know from experience, believe me , that is Blogger’s Block.
- Get outside! You don’t have to go anywhere fancy or expensive. Just walk to the grocery store and start looking around for interesting people or houses or pets. Even ‘uninteresting’ people, houses or pets could inspire you to write something.
- Try Color Therapy. Go to the neighborhood’s park or whatever place where you can find green grass. Sometimes you know you want to write something, to communicate something. You just don’t know what it is. That is because your mind is cluttered, disorganized. Green will help chill you out, so you can make better decisions on what to write. Other colors that might help you are white, yellow and orange, since they stimulate creativity.
- Get outside your mind. “What if I was someone else? Or something else? “
- Use brainstorming. So, you want to try and write a really original post on, say, vegetarianism, but you just don’t know how to start. Brainstorming is a really useful writing technique; just take a piece of paper and a pencil and start writing every word that comes to your mind when thinking of the subject in question. After you edit the list here and there, you could use it as an outline of your post. Just fill in the blanks.
- Talk to people. Talk to your best friends, to your parents, to your grandparents, to your five year old nephew, to that little guy people called ‘weirdo’ in high school. Their stories could give you ideas on what to write.
- Listen to instrumental music while writing. Listening to some Mozart, celtic music, classic guitar, improv jazz could get your creative juices flowing.
- Challenge yourself. Take the dictionary and look for interesting, unconventional words that attract your attention and challenge yourself to write a post using them.
- Go pop. Go to Technorati.com and see if you can write something about one of their top searches. It doesn’t have to be a really pro article, just write something about it.
- Give ‘prompts generators’ a chance. They do have some interesting questions for you to answer on your blog. Or even some first lines… Oh, c’mon, you know they do!
- Use the ‘mix it up‘ method. Let’s say that people got to your blog doing a search on art nouveau, book, architecture, being rich and ‘back to school’ poetry. Mix them up and have fun writing about it!
- Give yourself a break. If you’ve tried really really hard during days and days to write something and still no result, just drop it! At least for a while. The more you try to force things, the less you’ll get your post done! Just go and take a walk, drink a glass of water, play with your pet or whatever that isn’t writing.
- Don’t be too harsh on yourself. If you’ve reviewed your post over and over and you’re still not sure that it’s a great post… DO publish it! Stop being so damn perfectionist! And again, have fun =)
* (PARA LOS QUE QUIERAN LEERLO EN ESPAÑOL; SÓLO DEN CLICK EN EL ASTERISCO) =D